Hollowing Out the Middle: The Rural Brain Drain and What It Means for America


I just finished reading a book we have in the library called Hollowing Out the Middle: the Rural Brain Drain and What It Means for America. The authors studied a small town in Iowa and the students who left and those who stayed and what influenced them.

I can't say I agreed with everything in the book, but it certainly was VERY interesting! I wish everyone interested in economic development or involved with our school system could read this. Actually, anyone who grew up in a rural area or lives in one now should read it.

At the very least, I hope someone else reads it so I can talk about it...so if you do read it, stop by to tell me what you thought, or drop an email to leahkrotz@nckcn.com.


~Review by Leah Krotz